Collection of Sarah Orne Jewett Materials
Scope and Contents
This collection includes correspondence, manuscripts, and first publications of 19th-century Maine writer, Sarah Orne Jewett. The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by Jewett to various correspondents between 1879 and 1908. The collection also contains manuscript items of varying length, an Anecdote Book, clippings, published writings, and a few photographic prints.
- 1868 - 1986
- 1868 - 1986
- Jewett, Sarah Orne, 1849-1909 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials to be used on site during regular Special Collections hours or by appointment. Photocopying or scanning may be possible at discretion of staff for nominal fee. Materials may be protected by copyright.
Sarah Orne Jewett (1849-1909) of South Berwick, Maine achieved note as an author and poet. The daughter of Dr. Theodore Jewett, she was educated at Berwick Academy, though her studies were frequently interrupted by illness. She never married and lived most of her life in her home town. In later years she traveled to the West Indies and to Europe with her friend, Annie Adams Fields. Jewett's writing depicts her native state and its people with a clarity and sympathy that are still admired. In 1901 she received the first honorary Litt.D. awarded to a woman by Bowdoin College, her father's alma mater. Among her best known works are A Country Doctor and Country of the Pointed Firs.
2.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This collection includes correspondence (primarily written between 1879-1908) and manuscripts by 19th-century Maine writer Sarah Orne Jewett.
Materials arranged in five series: Correspondence, Manuscripts and Copyright Petition, Photographs, Published Writings, Clippings.
Materials acquired via gift or purchase.
Acquired over a period of years by various gifts and purchases.
- Holmes, Oliver Wendell, 1809-1894
- Howe, Julia Ward, 1819-1910
- Jewett, Sarah Orne, 1849-1909
- Kipling, Rudyard, 1865-1936
- Rossetti, Christina Georgina, 1830-1894,
- Thaxter, Celia, 1835-1894
- Twain, Mark, 1835-1910
- Whittier, John Greenleaf, 1807-1892
- Wingate, Charles E. L. (Charles Edgar Lewis), b. 1861
- Abbott, Lyman, 1835-1922
- Alden, Henry Mills, 1836-1919
- American literature -- Women authors -- 19th century -- Correspondence
- Blanc, Marie Thérèse de Solms, 1840-1907
- Dressel, Louisa Loring, 1864-1958
- Johnson, Robert Underwood, 1853-1937
- Lee, Vernon, 1856-1935
- Maine -- In literature
- Newspaper clippings
- Parsons, Theophilus, 1797-1882
- Perry, Lilla Cabot, 1848-1933
- Scudder, Horace Elisha, 1838-1902
- Smith, Frances H.
- Thaxter, John, 1854-1924
- Finding Aid to the Collection of Sarah Orne Jewett Materials
- In Progress
- Colby College Special Collections, Waterville, Maine
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.