Collection of Kate Douglas Wiggin Materials
Scope and Contents
This collection includes correspondence, manuscripts, and first publications of the writer Kate Douglas Wiggin. The bulk of the collection consists of letters written by Wiggin to various correspondents between 1890 and 1922. The collection also contains manuscript items of varying length, clippings, published writings, and a few photographic prints.
- 1893 - 1917
- Wiggin, Kate Douglas Smith, 1856-1923 (Author, Person)
Language of Materials
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Materials to be used on site during regular Special Collections hours or by appointment. Photocopying or scanning may be possible at discretion of staff for nominal fee. Materials may be protected by copyright.
Biographical / Historical
Wiggin was a celebrated author of children's literature and an advocate of early childhood education. Born in Philadelphia, she later moved to Hollis, Maine. As a teacher she established the first free kindergarten for impoverished children in San Francisco, and later set up a professional school to train teachers in children's education, co-authoring several books and guides on the subject. To support the school she turned to writing children's literature, achieving popular success with "The Store of Patsy" (1883), "The Birds' Christmas Carol" (1887), and "The Diary of a Goose Girl" (1902), followed by two of her most famous works, "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" (1903) and "Rose o' the River" (1905).
0.25 Linear Feet
Materials arranged in four series: Correspondence, Manuscripts and First Appearances, Photographs, and Clippings.
Materials acquired via gift or purchase.
- Allen, Elizabeth Akers, 1832-1911 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- American Literature -- Women Authors
- Colles, W. Morris, 1855-1926 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Courtney, W.L., 1850-1928 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Eaton, John, 1829-1906 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Johnson, Robert Underwood, 1853-1937 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Partington, Frederick Eugene, 1854-1924. (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Peck, Harry Thurston, 1856-1914 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Rideing, William Henry, 1853-1918 (Correspondent) -- Correspondence
- Finding Aid to the Collection of Kate Douglas Wiggin Materials
- Colby College Special Collections
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note